top of page
Love Gainesville Top
#WhyILoveGNV Social Stream
bottom of page
• Top 25 of the Smartest Cities in America—forbes.com • Top 50 Best Places to Live and Launch—Fortune Small Business Magazine • Top 10 Places for Businesses and Careers the last four years —forbes.com • Top 10 Greenest Cities in America—DailyBeast.com • Gainesville is great place to live a fun, active lifestyle and put down roots.
• In 2015, the district's average SAT score of 1620 was the highest in the state of Florida and above the national average. • The districtwide passing rate on AP exams was 63%, higher than state, national and global passing rates on the exams. • 5 of the district's 6 high schools were ranked on The Washington Post's 2015 High School Challenge Index placing them among the top high schools in the nation. • The district also received the What Parents Want Award from SchoolMatch.
• UF Health ranked in Top-50 America's Best Hospitals by U.S. News & World Report. • North Florida Regional Medical Center has been recognized as a Top Performer on Key Quality Measures by the Joint Commission's annual report for the past 5 years in a row. • The Malcom Randall VA Medical Center (VAMC) serves our veterans. • Knowing that the nation’s best doctors and medical resources are in your neighborhood will give you peace of mind to enjoy your life to the fullest.
Explore The Outdoors
• There is a reason why Gainesville earned a spot in Sperling's Top 10 Best Places for Outdoor Activities. • With world-class fishing, snorkeling, canoeing, diving and kayaking, there's always plenty to do on the water. • On land there are over 140 miles of hiking, jogging and biking trails. • Enjoy several state parks like Paynes Prairie or Devil's Millhopper that offer incredible sanctuary to wildlife including gators, wild horses and bison (to name just a few).
Experience Arts and Culture
• The Florida Museum of Natural History houses one of the most comprehensive collections of plants, animals, fossils and artifacts in the world. • The Harn Museum of Art has over 9,000 works of art including an original Claude Monet. • Catch a play at the Hippodrome State Theatre (has the oldest operating elevator in the state) or a Broadway play at Philips Center of Performing Arts. • Participate in the monthly Downtown Artwalk or annual Art Festivals.
• Gainesville is ranked in the top 10 bicycle-friendly cities in the nation. • Gainesville Regional Airport (GNV) hosts all-jet travel on 4 airlines. With no parking hassles and quick trips through security, GNV is a delight. • RTS provides bus services throughout the city. City employees, students and employees at UF and Santa Fe College ride free.
• Gainesville is the place to shop in North Central Florida and is the commercial center for 14 surrounding counties. • Shop at the many locally owned stores and boutiques. • We also have large shopping centers including the Oaks Mall, Butler Plaza and Celebration Pointe where you will find big box stores, national chains, supermarkets, movie theatres and more. • The surrounding smaller towns offer unparalleled antique shopping in quaint roadside stores and flea markets.
• Saturdays in the Fall can be spent tailgating near Ben Hill Griffin Stadium, more commonly known as “The Swamp,” which is home to the University of Florida football team, Go Gators! • The O’Connell Center, or the “O-Dome,” hosts Gator basketball, volleyball, gymnastics, swimming and diving. • Participate in many of the local athletic leagues year-round for kids and adults. • Enjoy professional football, baseball and basketball teams in the Central Florida area.
• Gainesville is known for its wonderful locally owned restaurants. Choose from ethnic and casual restaurants, delicious fine dining experiences, and menus that run the gamut from deli favorites and pizza to craft ramen and sushi. • If you're thirsty, we've got plenty of options for local drinks and craft beer, too.
Visit Nearby Towns
• The small nearby towns that surround Gainesville are fun to explore. Each town has its own history and charm and a different reason to visit. Maybe it's antiquing or fishing. Maybe it's food, floating down a river, or a festival. Venturing off the beaten path is well worth the effort. • Gainesville is also a short drive to many of Florida's destination cities. Enjoy a day trip to the beaches of St. Augustine, or an amusement park in Orlando.
Gainesville Area Map
• See all of our communities on this printable map along with local schools, parks, shopping centers and more!