• Clear and scrape the area where home will be built.
• Build a dirt pad at the proper height for the site.
• Place the form boards around the perimeter of where concrete is to be poured.
• Install the underground plumbing.
• Install mesh, rebar and plastic vapor barrier.
• Pour the concrete and smooth.
A Step-by-Step Guide to the Home Building Process
Building your new home is exciting, especially when you understand how the process works. The following overview outlines the general steps in the construction of a new home.
• Frame exterior and load bearing walls with 2x6 wood studs.
• Place roof trusses.
• Install Zipboard sheathing on exterior walls.
• Frame interior walls with metal studs.
3. Rough Mechanical Trades
• Plumbing pipes, Electrical wires and boxes, and HVAC ductwork and exhaust fans will be installed in the walls and ceilings.
• Install underlayment, flashing and drip edge.
• Install 30 Year Architectural Shingles.
5. Exterior Siding or Stucco
• Per the facade plan, Hardiplank Cement Fiber Board will be installed on the home's exterior
• or felt-paper backed wire lath with Cement Stucco will be installed.
• R-19 Open Cell Spray Foam Attic Insulation • R-19 Batt Fiberglass Wall Insulation.
Drywall with texture applied
• Install drywall boards, tape seams, and then apply texture finish to walls.
• Install interior doors, window sills, base molding and crown molding.
• Paint the interior and exterior of the home.
11. Cabinets and Countertops
• Install cabinets in kitchen and baths.
• Template countertops.
• Install custom fabricated countertops.
• Install crack suppression and moisture barrier underlayment.
• Apply waterproofing on shower walls.
• Install tile on floors, walls, and backsplashes.
• Grout and seal tile.
12. Interior Finishes
• Electric, Plumbing, and HVAC will install fixtures, switches, outlets, and grills.
• Specialties will install mirrors, shower glass doors, and closet shelving.
• Concrete or pavers will be installed on driveway, sidewalk, walkways, front and back porches, and courtyards.
14. Landscape and Irrigation
• Grade front and back yard with proper slopes.
• Install drip irrigation in plant beds and spray irrigation in sodded areas.
• Landscape, mulch and stone front and back yard.
15. Carpet and Wood Floor
• Install carpet pad, tack strip, and carpet.
• Install wood flooring.
16. Final Punch and Clean
• Make all final adjustments.
• Touch up paint.
• Clean home.
Follow along as we build!
Check out our Youtube Series Homebuilding 101 for more information on how to build a home and all the different people that work together to make it happen.